Top of Logo
Apr 25, 2019
Charlton Heights Elementary SchoolPashley Elementary SchoolStevens Elementary SchoolO'Rourke Middle SchoolBH-BL High School

Counseling Center: College Credit Information/UHS

separating rule

There are two methods by which BH-BL students can earn college credits for courses taken right at our high school--through Advanced Placement exams and through agreements our school has with several colleges. Students interested in taking any one of these college-level courses should consult with their teachers or counselor.

Advanced Placement (AP)

These are courses that typically follow a nationally standardized curriculum and culminate in an Advanced Placement exam, for which a fee is charged. AP courses are designed for students who demonstrate a high level of aptitude and success in the subject matter. Students recommended for AP courses will be those who:

  • Demonstrate a clear understanding of material and a thorough conceptual knowledge base,
  • Demonstrate a high level of motivation (always complete homework, actively participate in class, seek additional challenges),
  • Demonstrate a high level of performance on other standard indicators (Regents exams, standardized tests, etc.),
  • Submit work of high quality, and
  • Demonstrate high academic achievement in course work.

However, colleges have different policies when it comes to accepting credits earned during high school. For instance, some colleges accept a score of 3 on an AP exam, while others require a 4 or 5.  Students and parents should contact colleges directly for information. Successful completion of an AP, for instance, may allow students to opt out of an otherwise required college course, to be placed in a more advanced college course or to receive several college credit hours for work done in high school. For more information about the courses offered, please refer to the Curriculum Guide.

AP courses offered at BH-BL are:

AP English: Literature & Composition

AP Calculus BC

AP World History

AP Statistics

AP American History

AP Biology

AP European History

AP Chemistry

AP Macroeconomics

AP Physics - C

AP US Government & Politics

AP Environmental Science

AP Calculus AB

AP Computer Science


Agreements with Specific Colleges

BH-BL High School administrators also have agreements with several colleges that the college will grant credit hours for specific courses we offer since our course is essentially equivalent to theirs. Students successfully completing the BH-BL course and paying tuition will have a number of college credit hours to add to their resumes. Many times other colleges will accept these credits. For details, see your counselor.


College Credit Courses offered through BH-BL

  • CHS Economics (SCCC)
  • College Algebra (SCCC)
  • Statistics (SUNY Albany)
  • Pre-Calculus (SUNY Albany)
  • AP Computer Science (SCCC)
  • Enriched Chemistry (SCCC)
  • Enriched Physics (SCCC)
  • AP Environmental Science (SUNY ESF)
  • Science Research (SUNY Albany)
  • AP Chemistry (SCCC)
  • AP Biology (SCCC)
  • La Paella De Cultura (SUNY Oswego)
  • Temas Y Tapas! (SUNY Oswego)
  • Fleur de Lis: French Language & Culture in North America (SUNY Oswego)
  • The Shaping of Contemporary France (SUNY Oswego)
  • Du Bist Deutschland (SUNY Oswego)
  • German Character & Culture (SUNY Oswego)
  • Music Theory (SUNY Albany)
  • Advanced Drawing (Sage)
  • Advanced Ceramics (Sage)
  • Advanced Digital Art & Design (Sage)
  • Accounting 1 (SCCC)
  • College Accounting (College of St. Rose)
  • Business Law (SCCC)
  • Marketing & Management (SCCC)
  • Fashion & Textiles (Cazenovia College)
  • Fashion Design & Illustration (Cazenovia College)
  • Child Psychology & Development (SCCC)
  • Computer Aided Drawing 1 and 2 (HVCC)


Course Fees

There are several courses offered at BH-BL that have required fees associated with them, such as for an Advanced Placement exam. Students who register for these courses will be expected to pay the fees. Students enrolled in AP courses are required to take the AP exam. A fee will be assessed for each exam. Currently, the fee is approximately $89. Students who are unable to meet the fee requirement are urged to contact a school counselor or administrator to arrange for a reduced fee waiver.

Proof of Residency Information

For students enrolled in the TECSMART program (HVCC) and those enrolled in UHS courses (SCCC and HVCC), you will be required to prove residency for the county you live in, should you be taking the course for college credit.

This requirement ONLY pertains to community colleges and the following courses: World Mythology, Business Law, Marketing & Management and Child Psychology & Development.

If you live in Schenectady County, and are taking a course through SCCC, you are NOT required to prove residency.

The counseling center can sometimes help with needed documents, but have NO affiliation with these courses. For most questions, you will need to seek the advice of the individual teacher for the course, or the college itself.

The counseling center does NOT receive student transcripts for the courses once complete. The student needs to request these documents from the college and submit official transcripts to the college they are planning to attend.

You will find the information needed for the residency application below. If you have any questions regarding the process, it is best to contact the County Offices directly. If you have any questions regarding courses, fees, or credits, you need to contact the course teacher.

Key criteria for completing Certificate of Residence Application for Schenectady or Saratoga County
For use with SCCC or HVCC courses

1. Affidavit and application can be submitted NO MORE THAN 60 days PRIOR to the start of the course.

2. Applicant (student) needs to be present and sign application in front of Town/City Clerk, OR must have their signature notarized if unable to submit application themselves.

3. Applicant MUST provide 2 forms of dated proof of physical address:
a. One must be at least 1 year old and one must be less than 30 days old.
b. If applicant is a minor, ONE form of identification submitted can be from a parent, provided that the parent resides at the same physical address AND the parent legally has the same last name as the applicant.

The Saratoga County Treasurer’s Office
40 McMaster Street (Building 1)
Ballston Spa, NY 12020
Hours of operation: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
For any and all questions, call (518) 884-4724 ext. 4325


The Schenectady County Finance Department
620 State Street (3rd floor)
Schenectady, NY 12305
Hours of operation: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
For any and all questions, call (518) 388-4260